09/02/2013

La forme d'une ville : Sweet flow & factories


Paul Maitland - Factories bordering the river, ca 1886



Ewan MacColl & Peggy Seeger - Sweet Thames, Flow Softly
paroles et musique : Ewan MacColl
extrait du LP "Freeborn Man", Blackthorne Records, 1983
Mis en ligne par knowndwarf


I met my girl at Woolwich Pier
Beneath the big cranes standing
And oh, the love I felt for her
It passed all understanding

Took her sailing on the river
    Flow sweet river, flow
London town was mine to give her
    Sweet Thames flow softly

Made the Thames into a crown
    Flow sweet river, flow
Made a brooch of Silver town
    Sweet Thames flow softly

At London Yard I held her hand
At Blackwall Point I faced her
At the Isle of Dogs I kissed her mouth
And tenderly embraced her

Heard the bells of Greenwich ringing,  Flow  . . .
All the time I had was singing,  Sweet Thames  . . .

Lighthouse Reach I gave her there,  Flow  . . .
As a ribbon for her hair,  Sweet Thames  . . .

From Putney Bridge to Nine Elms Reach
We cheek to cheek were dancing
Her necklace made of London Bridge
Her beauty was enhancing

Kissed her once again at Wapping,  Flow  . . .
After that there was no stopping,  Sweet Thames  . . .

Gave her Hampton Court to twist,  Flow  . . .
Into a bracelet for her wrist,  Sweet Thames  . . .
But now alas the tide has changed
My love she has gone from me
And winter's frost has touched my heart
And put a blight upon me

Creeping fog is on the river,  Flow  . . .
Sun and moon and stars gone with her,  Sweet Thames  . . .

Swift the Thames runs to the sea,  Flow  . . .
Bearing ships and part of me,  Sweet Thames  . . .





...Et pendant ce temps-là...
...le rapport Tuot...

Aucun commentaire: